Thursday, March 15, 2007

Fondue Party

This post is long overdue. But somehow unlike other food blogs, I cannot bring myself to do a slip-shop work. I love food. But I also like to write. So mix the two up, and you get lengthy food debates and rhetoric that seem to ooo and ah over the most minute little things.

During the Chinese New Year Weekend + holiday, me being me (thus my not having much relatives) subjected me to the extreme most levels of bordeomvation. I had finished all my CNY visitations in the record of 2 hours and had the rest of the CNY days free. Red packets are always a rarity, and even when found, always number in the smallest amount. To makeup for this shortfall, me and a few other friends decided we should have our own visitations.

J, D, Yf and I went round to various individuals' houses totaling 6 places in all!! We ate so much that we were so stuffed to the max! One of the rounds we made were at Ying's house and she offered to host a fondue party for us as she had just gotten herself a fondue machine as her birthday present.

Ying bought the various ingredients for our fondue party and we had a swell time. I shall tag this post under DIY (Do it yourself)! :) Boy were we bloated and choc-full of fondue magic by the time we finished!


Kiwi that was not ripened (sour!) and our banana-kiwi platter.
Our beautifully arranged fruit platters! I purposely arranged the kiwi till it looked like this! Haha.


To get the chocolate for the fondue machine, you melt the chocolate in a small bowl simmered in water in a bigger pot.


But first you have to buy the chocolate chips for the fondue machine!



Grapes and strawberries
Did you know that grapes are one of the most poisonous substances to dogs? I know because my vet told me.


Cutting the Waffle
Seriously burnt! In Canada, I always had waffle for breakfast. And we realised that the best way to toast these waffles was to put them in the toaster!! Ooooo....


Strawberry galore!
Yes, I arranged the strawberries too. It was purely out of an aesthetic need.




A closeup shot of the Strawberries
When dipped with dark chocolate, it's just simply heavenly. Nope, not white chocolate nor milk chocolate. But dark chocolate.


Kiwis



A closeup shot of the kiwis
Don't they just look beautiful? The intricate designs...




The fondue machine
Don't ask me where to buy this from. I have no idea. My job is to just eat and absorb. ;) I must say that people are getting very entrepreneurial these days. A simple fondue and you get complex intricate elaobrate machines. We're all suckers for novelty. Though you do have to admit that the machine is a very good tool for social parties. It becomes the talking point.


Step 1. Put the melted chocolate into the base of the fondue machine.


Step 2. Wait for the machine to suck the chocolate up.



Step 3. The chocolate will slowly overflow.
Awesome!


Step 4. Add more chocolate to ensure that the fondue machine is beautifully covered in chocolate.


Still too little chocolate.



Tada! This is how a real chocolate fondue looks like. Totally blanketed by pure chocolate!


Finally! D taking his chance to cover his mashmellow with the chocolate fondue.




D's creative dessert
Chocolate icecream with grapes.




And finally...
The feast... (After u eat too much of the chocolate, the fondue machine will dwindle in its chocolate covering too) :)

On the whole, we had a great time at Ying's place. Poor ZC who is in US could not join us. :) *Evil grin*
At least we took pictures to remind you of the great time we had (without you). :)
A chocolate fondue party is a great way to catch up with your old friends and have fun at the same time. But be prepared to get so choco-full that you kind of get sick after a while. Ice cream and fruits are a refreshing break from the heavy chocolate and rest assured that your chocolate cravings will be satisfied.

A point to note though is that most of you would probably not want to see another piece of chocolate for the next few days. Too jelat!! That's why they always say... Too much of a good thing is never good.

Verdict:
Ambiance: 3/5 (Great company always maketh great ambiance)
Service: 5/5 (D's innovative desserts served to us personally were the highlight!)
Food: 3/5 (Chocolate heaven. But too much is always too much)

Where to get this? Buy one and start one at home!



Blogged with Flock

2 comments:

zHaOcHeNg said...

whey! how could u do this to me????? Wait for me to come back! Haha

Lyd said...

muahahahhahahah
At least we remembered you. :)