Friday, January 19, 2007

Bakerzin my tummy!

Welcome to my foodblog! Being the obsessed, crazy food addict I am... I'm really excited about this new blog! This shall be dedicated purely to my world of food!
I believe in sharing the good life I have! Because unfortunately for alot of girls... they don't seem to eat very much! o_O I like to look back on the good times I've had with friends and of course, with food! Thus this blog is basically for me to keep a journal of the fantastic (and sometimes not so fantastic) food I've had.

After being back for about a week from Canada, I still had not gotten any good cakes. Ok so I did eat a few yummylicious beings but those were not enough. Believe it or not, Canada does not have any cake shops! To get your average birthday cakes, you buy them from the supermarket! Imagine that! No four leaves, no breadtalk, no savoury fares! *Whine* I think Singapore is really a food nation... we actually have so many cake shops! So Canada cakes= horrible aesthetically unpleasing cakes... unless you are actually talking about the expensive (yet gorgeous) cakes you see in the restaurants. Apparently besides the supermarket, that's about the other place you can ever get your grubby hands on some good quality flour (i.e. cake)!

To be fair, Canada does have its share of cake shops... Chinese pastries shops that is. Hahaha.... Perhaps Canadians prefer baking their own cakes. But me... I'm more suited to eating them. I have baked thousands of cakes and believe me... you do not want to try them.
Comments have ranged from "I could use that to hit my friends" to "Wow! Your cake is really nice! (When it really is a donut!)" and I have tried (unsuccessfully) for 3 times to bake that Tiramisu cake! Ok... so everyone gets the idea that I eat good food, it's just that I don't make what I eat!
__________________________________________
SH and I headed for Bakerzin upon my recommendation. We were at VivoCity when I spotted this gem at the corner somewhere.

Ambiance was quite nice. The kind I like for a hightea with my girlfriends. There were red string-curtains lining the windows which looked out to the passing cars. The red, pink and white balloons put you in a very Valentine-day mood. I like the white-light ambiance too, kind of a cheerful, chic, modern place for you to catch up and chitchat.

We ordered the Lavande Chocolate Cake. I have always like Bakerzin's presentation. Pretty gorgeous cakes. It was a dark chocolate cake with a white chocolate piece set atop it. Bakerzin prizes presentation so much that once when the ice cream toppled off the pastry upon being set on the table by the waitress, we were given a complementary dessert for the "mis-representation"! haha.... That's why we ought to hope for more careless waitresses each time we go there!


This time there was no careless waitress so we got our perfect cake. Lavande- On the menu it was described as a Lavender infused dark chocolate mousse cake.



At first SH and I couldn't taste the lavender. But I realised that the trick was not to gobble the cake but rather to savour it slowly. I scooped off the dark chocolate and rolled it around my mouth and the lavender taste emerged! A rather pleasant complementing taste to the dark chocolate. For those who have not tried the flavour lavender before, it's really very hard to describe the flavour to you, but it's a rather mild aromatic flavour. Not a taste you get everyday! :) The last time I had this flavour was when I ate The VTeaRoom's Lavender Biscuits. Superbly nice. The lavender taste was much stronger in that though. I shall elaborate on that another time though.


Now for the Lavande. Inside was the mousse that went really well with the lavender dark chocolate. Not too sweet or cloying like some chocolate cakes I've eaten. Mousse is tricky because too much of it and you feel like you are eating cream. But I felt that the cake was generally well balanced. Ahh... now for the rating (I feel like a food critic already!): 4/5



I liked the 3 tapas/ice cream/ sorbet for only $9+ deal. Can't fully recall the price but SH and I ordered the Strawberry Crumbe (I think!), lime sherbet, and the Creme Brule.

The portions were really small though. Really small... but just nice enough for you to get a sampling of how the real McCoy tastes like!



The Strawberry Crumbe (Which of course might not be the real name so this shall be its nickname for now) was quite average. Didn't find anything outstanding about it. It was basically strawberry ice cream with cookie/biscuit crumbs. I thought we had ordered a strawberry cheesecake but when this came out we were pleasantly surprised. After all ice creams are always welcomed. Yet I felt that the bits could have been bigger and the taste was quite faint. If it was supposed to be like strawberry cheesecake, well let's just say the crumbs are like the base of the cheesecake! Actually I'm not too sure what this item is, so I can't assess it 100%! But based on what my taste buds told me, it's a 3/5


Next up was the lime sherbet! SH said he was tired of ice creams and wanted to try something new. I voted for mango sherbet but he really seemed to dig this flavour so we settled for this! And boy was it good! I like sherbets with a kick! The Sherbet was topped with this mint-lookalike substance. SH ate it so I have no idea how it tastes like but he says it's good, so I assume it goes well with the sherbet.

I really like the fact that the lime taste was very refreshing! However a piece of advice would be to eat the Sherbet all at once at the beginning... because eating the sweet cakes and ice creams first, and then the sherbet would make it even more sour! SH and I got a wake-up call when we decided to savour every last bit of the sherbet at the very end! Yummy... very nice indeed. Mr Lime Sherbet... you are a 4/5!

Last but not last exactly (because we ate all 3 in a very simultaneous manner!) was the Creme Brule! I decided to order this because poor SH had never eaten Creme Brule before! Compared to me the food addict, I've whopped down countless of fattening Creme Brules!



I like Creme Brule because you cannot go wrong with it! People love Creme Brule all the time! As of this date, I have yet to try an atrocious Creme Brule! It looks quite simple- custard with burnt sugar that is almost caramelised! But taste it... and it's just so good! The sweet layer of sugar just gives that crunch and ooomph to the custard! The custard must not be too sweet either or it would be too sweet with the sugar.



In this case, the Creme Brule was great! I've eaten Creme Brules at many established, reputable hotels and mind you... Bakerzin desserts are comparable! All in all... this was one good yummy delicious Creme Brule!! 4/5





Yummy! In sum, Bakerzin was really nice for a high tea session. Pity they don't serve ice water. Or rather FREE ice water. It would have washed the sweet desserts down real good after that!

P.S. More reviews to come! I usually don't give a rating of 5/5 because if I do... then that must be the ultimate indulgence! And the search for that perfect piece of edible heaven would be over! Food food food!!!

No comments: