Friday, January 19, 2007

Thai Express

This will be a short post I guarantee. :)

On Saturday, G and I decided to meet up for dinner as we had not seen each other in 5 months! We decided on Thai food as I had not had good spicy food in a while. Thai Express it was and it so happened that there was a new item on the menu! Tom Yum Steamboat for 2!


It came with chicken, fish, prawns, vegetables, and vermicelli along with some other spices that you could dump into the Tom Yum broth. Pardon me if I cannot remember the exact meat offered but my first reaction upon seeing the steamboat was to just go! for it!

Indeed it has been a long while since I last had Tom Yum! Granted I did cook Tom Yum in Canada for a gathering, but the taste was not as authentic as the Tom Yum we were used to! (Yes yes... it must have been my cooking!)

The Tom Yum was really kick-ass good! I sledom use that term, but it made my nose water! And that's when it's really shiok! I cannot really eat spicy stuff but I still love spicy food! :) So when my nose is dripping... it means it's really shiok! I used 5 servettes/tissuepaper! haha...


The soup was super good. I would give it a 4/5! Really yummy Thai food. As for the authencity, I'm not too sure about that! I ate the Tom Yum my Thai friends made and it tasted pretty much the same, though the soup was toned down for the Caucasian's palate!

We also ordered this chicken dish that was really amazing. Unfortunately I cannot recall the name. Somehow they managed to fill the chicken up with a paste, yet keeping the chicken skin intact. Or at least it looked intact. See below: You bite into the chicken and you can see the paste inside. Amazing amazing and really yummy. The texture was like fish cake but the taste was a tad like chicken plus spices. Can't exactly describe it but it was good. Really good. Shall give it a 4/5 for being such a delicious chicken wing! P.S. In Canada and US, somehow we didn't manage to find good fried crispy chicken wings. We ate this set of Buffalo wings in Los Angeles and we totally hated it! The sauce was supposed to be spicy but it turned out to be more sourish-burning than spicy.



We also ordered this prawn paste dish. Unfortunately I didn't take a snapshot of it (wonder why. Why I guess I was really hungry) but it looked alot like french toast! It was crispy golden brown, fried to such a nice perfection. I thought it tasted like french toast on the first bite but upon taking a deeper bite, the toast-like substance contained the prawn paste! :) Really delicious! I wonder if I felt so excited about the dishes because I was famished and had just returned from the White-men's land or was it really good food? I would give the dish a 4/5 too.

On the whole, I really enjoyed my meal at Thai Express. It's really a value-for-money place. Ambiance wise it was average, much like the other regular Thai Express branches. It could have been the novelty of the Tom Yum steamboat that made this meal somewhat different. But it was a really good spicy tongue-tangling meal nonetheless! :) Perhaps when I eat Thai Express another time, it wouldn't be so good? We shall see... :)

3 comments:

Mister Green said...

wow!!! Job well done! very nice!

Anonymous said...

Just reading your blog makes me salivate. I love spicy food. Which outlet is this of ThaiExpress'?

Sage

Lyd said...

ha... hi Sage, it's at Marina Square. I'm not sure whether the steamboat is a permanent thing, but it should be. ;)Enjoy!